Get a Library Card
To get your library card, please fill out the form below.
- Please allow 72 hours for your application to be processed.
- You may pick up your new library card at any Washoe County Library location.
- Activate your library card within 30 days of submitting this request.
- You will need your valid photo ID and proof address to receive your card.
If you are a Nevada resident, you will need to present one of the following to activate your account:
- Your valid Nevada driver license or Nevada ID card, with your current address; or
- Your consulate card, with your current Nevada Address; or
- Your valid U.S. passport or other state-issued photo ID card, and proof of current Nevada residency.*
- Applicants who present a Nevada library card from another library system in Nevada must also present photo ID and proof of current Nevada residency.*
Students currently attending a school, college, or university in Washoe County may obtain a Washoe County Library card upon presentation of valid school ID and, in the case of college or university students, proof of current local address.
Parents or guardians of minor children may obtain library cards for their children by providing acceptable ID.
A conditional library card with a two-item limit may be issued for patrons visiting longer than one month but less than six months, or for other reasons at the discretion of the library manager or their designee.
If you are a California resident of El Dorado, Lassen, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, or Sierra County in California, you may obtain a Washoe County Library card with any of the following:
- Your valid photo ID showing residency in a neighboring California county, with your current address; or
- Your valid California driver license or ID card, and proof of your current address;* or
- Your consulate card with your current address in a neighboring California county.
If you own property or work in Washoe County, but do not live in Nevada or a bordering California County, you may obtain a library card by presenting a valid photo ID and one of the following:
- Your Washoe County property tax statement; or
- Your timeshare proof-of-ownership papers; or
- Your most recent paycheck or stub; or
- A letter from your employer on company letterhead.
If you do not meet any of the above conditions, you may apply for an annual borrower's card for an annual fee in accordance with the FINES FEES AND CHARGES Policy. A valid photo ID is still required.
*A LIST OF ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS serving as proof of current address is available at all Washoe County Libraries.
Apply for a Washoe County Library Card:
*Fields with a star are required.Print