New Hours Begin January 2 at 5 Locations
Overdue fines on most children’s materials also eliminated.
The Board of Trustees of Washoe County Library System unanimously approved revised public hours at a special meeting Wednesday, December 7, 2016. The changes will affect hours at the Downtown Reno, Duncan/Traner, Incline Village, North Valleys and Sierra View Libraries.
Of special note, the Duncan/Traner Community Library will see an expansion to 16 hours per week, up from its current 7.5 hours, and the Sierra View Library will be open seven days per week. Additionally, most locations will have more consistent weekday closing hours. Hours changes will go into effect the week of January 2, 2017.
At the meeting, Library Director Jeff Scott presented background information in support of requests made by the general public. According to Scott, the suggested changes were “based on public feedback and provide consistency in closure times throughout the Library System. We are pleased that the trustees approved the revised public hours and expand access at strategically located libraries.”
Trustees also unanimously approved revisions to the Library’s Fines, Fees, and Charges Policy. Books, magazines, and audiobooks will no longer accrue fines when checked out by library users less than 18 years of age. The new fine structure for minors is effective today (December 8, 2016).
Director Scott went on to say that “Washoe County Library System plays a central role in providing youth of all ages with access to books and materials, whether to support school work or personal enjoyment. We view ourselves as partners, along with parents and schools, in instilling a love of books and learning. In removing fines from children’s cards for children’s materials, we are ensuring access for a generation of young readers so that they may read and succeed!”
New hours are as follows:
- Downtown Reno Library: Monday-Thursday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm; Sunday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Duncan/Traner Community Library: Monday-Thursday, 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm; Sunday, 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Incline Village Library: Monday-Friday, 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
- North Valleys library: Tuesday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm; Wednesday, 10:00 am - 7:00 pm; Thursday-Friday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm; Saturday, 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Sierra View Library: Monday, 1:00pm - 6:00pm; Tuesday - Friday, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm; Saturday, 10:00 am - 5:00 pm; Sunday, 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
To view the Library Board of Trustees agendas and minutes, library policies, and hours, or for more information, please visit us online at www.washoecountylibrary.us.
There are currently no similar stories.